Job ID: 2020-11449 Type: Full-Time # of Openings: 1 Category: Research and Laboratory
The Amodeo Laboratory in the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a Research Specialist I / Research Specialist II. Our research focuses on cellular decision making in the early embryo. We seek to understand the control of the mid-blastula transition and zygotic genome activation using single embryo microscopy, biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics in the fruit fly, Drosophila.
The rank and salary will be commensurate with experience. Salary will include the full benefits package. The position is open and review of applications will begin immediately.
This is a one-year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on available funding and satisfactory performance.
Specific duties include:
- Design and execution of experiments.
- Fly genetics.
- Application of confocal microcopy techniques and imaging of live and fixed embryos.
- Basic image analysis techniques.
- Basic molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western blotting, RNA-preparation, and molecular cloning.
- Participation in shared lab chores.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in biology or related field.
- Laboratory research experience and familiarity with microscopy, basic molecular biology and biochemical procedures, and data analysis.
- Ability to work independently as part of a larger team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to plan and manage a research project.
Non-essential (preferred) functions:
- Experience in working with Drosophila.
- Experience with ImageJ, R, or Matlab.
- The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development as a scientist and is therefore interested in reading the current scientific literature and conducting an independent research project. The Research Specialist will take ownership of their project and work semi-autonomously under the guidance of the PI and other group members.
The final candidate will be required to pass a background check.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Internal Number: 118668816
About Princeton University
Princeton University is a vibrant community of scholarship and learning that stands in the nation's service and in the service of all nations. Chartered in 1746, Princeton is the fourth-oldest college in the United States. Princeton is an independent, coeducational, nondenominational institution that provides undergraduate and graduate instruction in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and engineering.As a world-renowned research university, Princeton seeks to achieve the highest levels of distinction in the discovery and transmission of knowledge and understanding. At the same time, Princeton is distinctive among research universities in its commitment to undergraduate teaching.Today, more than 1,100 faculty members instruct approximately 5,200 undergraduate students and 2,600 graduate students. The University's generous financial aid program ensures that talented students from all economic backgrounds can afford a Princeton education.