Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, full-time, tenure-track. Area of specialization: Data Science. Start date is August 2020.
- Teach courses, such as Machine Learning, Programming, Algorithms, and Artificial Intelligence, effectively at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Advise undergraduate and supervise graduate students
- Actively seek and obtain external funding to sustain a research program
- Provide service at the department, college, university, professional, and community level
Credentials Required for Application
- Cover letter, detailing data science related teaching and research experience
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy and evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Statement of research interests and agenda
- Statement of contributions or commitment to diversity in higher education
- One or more pdf files of in-press manuscripts or publications within the last 3 years
- Contact information for three professional references, letter of reference must be dated within the past year
- Copies of transcripts indicating all graduate course work
Application Deadline: Application must be received by January 20, 2020.
Questions may be directed to the Faculty Search Committee Chair, Dr. Joe Chao, at email@example.com. An official transcript of the terminal degree is required for employment. BGSU policy requires finalists to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to receiving an offer of employment.
Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities regardless of age, gender identity, genetic information, religion, or sexual orientation.
Bowling Green State University is a residential campus located in northwest Ohio approximately 20 miles south of Toledo, Ohio and 70 miles from Ann Arbor, Michigan and the Detroit airport. BGSU offers more than 200 undergraduate majors and programs, 47 master’s degree programs, and 17 doctoral degree programs. U.S. News and World Report names BGSU as one of the top public universities nationwide with a strong commitment to first-year programs that lead to success. Approximately 20,000 students (including 2900 graduate students) attend BGSU. Over 17% of our students identify as persons of color, and nearly 5% are international students. Of BGSU’s 1200 faculty members, 13% identify as persons of color, 4% hail from different countries. The Division of Diversity and Belonging coordinates affinity groups for faculty and staff who identify as persons of color, Latinx, LGBTQ+, and as persons with disabilities. The University is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. For more information, please visit: www.bgsu.edu.
The Department of Computer Science is one of 17 academic units in the College of Arts and Sciences. The Department currently has 15 full-time faculty members with national and/or international reputations, about 400 undergraduate majors and 40 graduate students. Undergraduates pursue baccalaureate degrees in computer science and software engineering, graduate students an MS in computer science. Computer Science is one of three foundational departments contributing to the new MS and Ph.D. program in Data Science.
The Department of Computer Science is one of the units served by BGSU ALLIES, a three-year project funded by NSF that is designed to increase the participation and advancement of women in academic STEM careers. Paralleling similar efforts at the student level, the department sponsors the BG Women in Computing student organization, which became a chapter of ACM-W in 2018.
Minimum Qualifications - Ph.D. or equivalent in computer science or a closely related discipline (e.g., Data Science, Information Science, Engineering). ABDs will be considered as long as the requirements for the degree are completed by August 2020
- Research experience in a data science related area, including but not limited to machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, data mining, data quality, and data analysis
- Demonstrated record of teaching effectiveness, such as teaching records, student evaluations, and/or use of instructional tools and technologies
- Demonstrated record of research productivity, with at least one or more peer reviewed journal/conference publications that have been accepted
- Established background in data science as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, reports, and/or scientific presentations
- Teaching experience at the college level (course instructor, teaching assistant, teaching practicum) in the areas of data science
About BGSU Office of Human Resources
Bowling Green State University is a tier-one, public university serving 19,000 students on two campuses in northwest Ohio. The University has nationally recognized programs and research in the natural and social sciences, education, arts, business, health and wellness, humanities and applied technologies. BGSU seeks talented individuals to join our community in Bowling Green, Ohio, recognized as one of the “Best College Towns of America.”Bowling Green State University provides experiences that enhance lives. Students are prepared for lifelong career growth, lives of engaged citizenship and leadership in a global society. U.S. News and World Report names BGSU as one of the top public universities nationwide with a strong commitment to first-year programs that lead to success. Within our transformative learning community, we build a welcoming, safe and diverse environment where the creative ideas and achievements of all can benefit others throughout Ohio, the nation and the world.