Responsible for preparation of tissue specimens of human and animal origin for diagnostic, research and teaching purpose under the direction of the neuropathologist. Train employees in paraffin and frozen methods in the use of routine and special stains. Provide technical expertise in the use of special stains, cut serial sections, or work on delicate materials. Ensure laboratory safety compliance.
- Prepare tissue specimens from autopsy cases for microscopic investigation and analysis by fixation dehydration, clearing and impregnation by embedding in a suitable media. Supports PI by analyzing brain sections for encephalopathy, Alzheimers traits, or neurodegenerative disease.
- Ensures laboratory safety compliance. Ensures that all research activities and research laboratories meet the guidelines established by Boston University as well as outside regulatory agencies (OSHA, NRC, HHS, OPRR, VA, VA R&D). These include fire and occupational safety, biohazardous precautions, radiation safety, and chemical hazards and use. Plans, presents, and implements safety programs for staff.
- Operates and calibrates standards laboratory/histology equipment (microtome, tissue, processor, balances, microscope, pH meter, etc.) and maintains levels of all laboratory reagents, supplies, antibodies, etc.
- Cuts sections of prepared tissue on microtone and perform complex immunohistochemical stains for further diagnostic processing
- Provides laboratory training to scientific and technical staff for proper histology procedures, protocols, laboratory safety, and documentation practices. Develops new training products and modifies existing products based upon advances in the scientific fields. Teaches and instructs technicians on neuroanatomical and immunocytochemical, enzyme histochemical, immunofluorescence analysis protocols, and microscopic image analysis. Provides consultation to collaborating laboratories.
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of relevant experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Internal Number: 8223
About Boston University
Boston University is no small operation. With over 33,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 140 countries, 10,000 faculty and staff, 16 schools and colleges, and 250 fields of study, our two campuses are always humming.