For this position, we seek someone with a strong data-driven social science background who enjoys the technical aspects of data work. The census data need to be cleaned, new data merged in, editing routines and techniques developed, and millions of strings of data coded into useful classifications. The data are far too large for manual inspection, requiring efficient data analysis with innovative, scalable approaches including machine learning processing. The senior analyst will work with the project lead and other research staff on the development and implementation of these tasks. Responsibilities will include analyzing the data for errors and inconsistencies and developing and implementing novel routines to manipulate, subset and link the data in a variety of ways. The analyst will work in close collaboration with the lead software developer and interact with other members of the IPUMS IT team.
The candidate should have experience not only with data analysis in a statistical package but also with higher level data manipulation features of R or with Python. Most importantly, they need a willingness to learn new things, stay current with cutting edge data techniques and work as part of a collaborative and diverse team. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of data processing and dissemination methods, and there is considerable opportunity for initiative and creativity for all members of the team.
We have funding for the position until March 2021, but an extension beyond that period may prove possible.
• A master’s degree in a social science field and one year of relevant experience.
• Excellent computer skills and experience analyzing census or survey microdata in a statistical package such as SPSS, Stata, SAS, or R.
• Data manipulation/editing experience with Python or R.
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with audiences from various disciplines, communities, and cultures.
Additional selection criteria include:
• Familiarity with databases and SQL.
• Experience analyzing one of the IPUMS databases
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team
• A record of learning new information technology as required.
Internal Number: 332286
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.