The Regional Quality Manager will develop, improve, and direct the implementation of Regional Quality Assurance Standards and Systems applied at Regional manufacturing plants to ensure compliance with Company policies and standards, government regulatory requirements and to meet customer requirements.
Supervisory: As the solid-line manager for the plant functional quality managers, regularly coaches and mentors plant quality team leaders from the following Manufacturing facilities:
• Quality Systems – Manage the development, implementation and effective operation of Quality systems for the manufacturing facilities and logistical network. Provide leadership and management support to the assigned manufacturing facility Quality Managers, their support staff and Laboratory personnel to ensure effective application or implementation of company quality system objectives and goals. Maintain a current knowledge of Quality Management practices (ISO 9001-2015, FSSC 22000, etc.) and champion the establishment of best practices throughout the region. Working with stakeholders, develops and improves quality and food safety systems. Promotes understanding and engagement of systems within assigned sites.
• Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures – Assure that current corporate and regional Quality Assurance policies and procedures are effective. Develop or assist in the development and implementation of revised or new corporate/regional policies and guidelines to meet government regulations, customer satisfaction and business objectives. Provide support to all locations in implementing Quality Assurance policies and procedures.
• Audits – Conduct periodic assessments of site, supplier and third party facilities to ensure compliance with government regulations, customer requirements and company policies and programs. Provide recommendations, support and follow-up to ensure compliance to policies is maintained. Participate in plant customer audits, tracking corrective actions as appropriate. Manage annual product recall simulations for Regional plants. Lead and/or participate in supplier audits as required.
• SAP – Project manage roll out of SAP-QM across all regional plants. Apply skills to maintain and improve current system, provide training to users, create inspection plans, etc.
• Customer Support – Provide technical support with respect to Quality Assurance/Quality Control functions (contract review, quality audits) to ensure customer satisfaction. Maintain and develop an effective system for implementation of customer quality requirements in our business environment (SAP). Ensure an effective Corrective Action program is in place within the region that continually measures and improves performance and is consistent with best practices. Provide the knowledge and support to develop and maintain current, accurate technical and product information (data sheets, material safety data). Upon request, complete customer documentation requests in the allotted timeframe
• Liaison – Serve as the primary technical contact to key customers, maintaining organizational focus on product acceptance and suitability from US manufacturing plants. Serve as the primary QA technical contact to key customers, maintaining organizational focus on product acceptance and suitability. Serve as the technical liaison with appropriate trade associations and represent Stepan’s interests, maintaining currency in the field of Quality Assurance. Regularly interface with internal stakeholders to understand and meet their needs. Work with manufacturing leaders to strengthen local talent, ensuring quality managers are fully empowered to lead and improve the quality culture at their sites. Meet with plant managers where practical during plant visits to discuss current issues, support required, and employee growth strategies.
• Regulatory – Maintain current knowledge of governmental regulations, and assess the impact on the Company. Evaluate regulatory status of specialty products subject to Domestic and International Quality Assurance standards as necessary to support our import and export businesses.
• Coaching and Development –Provide regular coaching and mentoring to dotted-line QA/QC reports, assisting them with accomplishing plant and regional strategic and operating agenda items.
Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Engineering or in a related field, with solid demonstrated knowledge of QA/QC and basic business principles. Previous position as a plant QA/QC Manager in the chemical, food or pharma industry strongly preferred.
• Extensive experience working with customers and government agencies, interpreting rules and other external (customer) requirements. High degree of competency/experience with Personal Care, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and various codes of Federal Regulations as they apply to the food and drugs and various compendia such as U.S. Pharmacopoeia and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients guidelines.
• Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills. Able to interpret toxicological/ physiological/analytical and microbiological data and determine its significance.
• Experience with multiple Quality Systems and their development and implementation (i.e., HACCP, ISO, cGMP, API, IPEC, GLPs).
• History of implementing best practices to maintain area of technical responsibility as state of the art. Able to identify and implement creative, innovative solutions when appropriate.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proven track record of developing and coaching teams.
• Demonstrates excellent leadership and management skills. Proven ability to function within a matrix organization.
• Proficient in the use of Windows software programs (i.e. Word, Excel and Powerpoint). Significant experience with SAP as applied to QA/QC.
• Capable of traveling approximately 50%.
Internal Number: 02629
Stepan Company was founded in 1932 by Alfred C. Stepan Jr. Headquartered in Northfield, Illinois, Stepan manufactures basic and intermediate chemicals, including surfactants, specialty products, germicidal and fabric softening quaternaries, phthalic anhydride (P.A.), polyurethane polyols and special ingredients for the food, supplement and pharmaceutical markets.
With more than 2,000 employees and 18 manufacturing locations worldwide, Stepan is one of the largest surfactant manufacturers in the world. Surfactants are a key ingredient in consumer and industrial cleaning compounds, and Stepan provides expertise for commercial and industrial applications, ranging from emulsifiers for agricultural insecticides to agents used in oil recovery.
Stepan offers a broad range of products, including a full line of anionic, cationic, nonionic and amphoteric surfactants, as well as surfactant blends and specialty esters. The company also creates custom surfactants and formulated blends to meet unique customer demands. Learn more about Stepan Company’s surfactants.
Stepan Company is a leading manufacturer of polymers, including phthalic anhydride (P....A.), polyester polyols and specialty polyurethane foam systems. We marry our innovative STEPANPOL® polyol chemistry, vertically integrated supply chain and market-leading technical service to meet the needs of our global customers.
Stepan produces other specialty chemicals, often custom-made to meet individual needs. These include flavors, emulsifiers and solubilizers used in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Learn more about Stepan Company’s specialty products.
All of Stepan’s 18 manufacturing plants, located in 11 countries throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia, are ISO 9001:2015 certified. With global R&D centers, responsive sales and logistics organizations and a worldwide distribution network, Stepan offers a broad portfolio of products to customers in any location. View Stepan’s manufacturing strengths around the world.