· We are seeking a full-time research assistant to work in a human neuroimaging and electrophysiology lab in the Department of Neurological Surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The lab uses MRI techniques and human intracranial recordings to better understand brain network problems in epilepsy — a common and debilitating neurological disorder. Normal cognitive processing in humans and other neurological disorders are also interests of the lab. The principal investigator (PI) of the lab is Dario Englot, MD, PhD, a neurosurgeon and neuroscientist. Please see our lab website at www.englotlab.com .
· The research assistant will provide, under direct supervision, support for the research projects described above. Duties will include collection of data (MRI and electrophysiology), data analysis with MATLAB and other programs, communication and presentation of results, and assisting in general laboratory operation and inventory. It is anticipated that the applicant will receive valuable scientific experience and contribute to published manuscripts.
· Bachelors Diploma (or equivalent) and <1 Years of Experience
· A bachelor's degree in an engineering or basic science field is strongly preferred. Experience in MATLAB and/or computer programming are important, and an interest in neuroscience is beneficial. Applicants must be reliable, honest, hard-working, independent, and possess excellent communication skills. Pending or recent college graduates seeking research assistant experience prior to applying to graduate or medical school are also invited to apply. The position will be available early summer 2019.
· Day Shift/Non-Exempt Position
· Vanderbilt and the Department of Neurological Surgery have a long tradition of providing internationally acclaimed patient care, life changing innovations and research and training for the best of tomorrow-s neurological leaders.
· We provide excellent comprehensive care for pediatric and adult patients with disease or injury involving the brain, the neurovascular system, the spine, and the peripheral nervous system.
· VUMC consistently ranks in the 100 Best Hospitals survey and annually our medical and surgical specialties rank as best or high performing while our pediatric neurosurgery program is ranked 15 th in the nation according to US News and World Report .
Discover what sets Vanderbilt apart, our collaborative disciplines, unique surgical services and outstanding patient outcomes.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.